[Plugin] samp-precise-timers ⌚: A timer plugin written in the memory-safe Rust language. Check it out, you might like Rust!

Started by Kalcor, SA:MP, Aug 08, 2023, 07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalcor, SA:MP

[Plugin] samp-precise-timers ⌚: A timer plugin written in the memory-safe Rust language. Check it out, you might like Rust!

Briefly

Developed for net4game.com (RolePlay), this SA-MP plugin provides precise timers for the server. It is written in Rust, a memory-safe language.

Why rewrite timers?

I had a lot of safety concerns with some of the existing solutions. They weren't written with data integrity, memory safety or preventing server crashes in mind and seemed to have quite a few bugs. As privacy and safety is our primary concern at net4game, I wrote this in Rust, which combines high-level ergonomics with the performance of a low-level language. ⚡

Please check out the code to see the benefits. You might like Rust a lot. The code is much simpler than C++ equivalents, especially the ones which still use *char, free() and delete[] instead of modern C++ idioms such as std::unique_ptr, but as Rust has no runtime, there is no overhead 😉

We would like your help! 💃

Oh, and if you enjoy working on servers, we are looking for a team to help our international expansion. 🎉  net4game has been around for a decade as the biggest Polish server. We introduced a lot of innovations over the years and we are almost ready to become international. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if you're interested.

Downloads on GitHub

Also available on sampctl:

Code:

bmisiak/samp-precise-timers

Source: [Plugin] samp-precise-timers ⌚: A timer plugin written in the memory-safe Rust language. Check it out, you might like Rust!